School Info - Welcome Back
Dear HRES Families
We’re getting close to the first day of school with students and we are looking forward to seeing them. The staff have been involved in Professional Development and have also been getting their classrooms ready for students. As we prepare to start a new school year, we would like to welcome our new families and returning families.
Open House/Meet the Teacher – September 6: We would also like to invite you and your child(ren) to attend our Open House on Wednesday, September 6 from 4:30-6:00. Students can meet their teacher and see where their classroom is located. Families are encouraged to bring along school supplies, as well as dismissal information, whether the child is a walker, being picked up or on the bus – please provide the bus number for the end of the day (this may differ from their morning bus).
8:00 Morning instruction begins (supervision begins at 7:40)
11:45 Afternoon instruction begins
First Day - Thursday, September 7
- On the first day of school, there will be staff members directing students on where to go in the morning and we will make sure your child finds their teacher.
- Please send your child in with a water bottle.
- Label your child’s clothing – we tend to gather many articles in our lost and found that do not get claimed.
- Arrival info: the classroom teachers for students in pre-primary, primary and grade one (including 1/2 Harley) will be outside in the field. All other students, from grades 2-5, will come in through the front door and go to their classroom. (We will have staff to help students)
- Dismissal: For the first week or two, it may take a little longer for students to be dismissed so buses may be later dropping students off. (Make sure your child’s teacher has dismissal information)
Student drop off and pick up:
- For student safety, you need to park at the bottom of the hill for morning drop-off and afternoon pick-ups during dismissal. At this time, there is no parking/driving on school property, which includes the parking on the side of the hill. There were some close calls last year, so we need you to follow this. If you are coming after 8:00, it’s okay to pull in the bus loop.
- Students will enter the school when they arrive, with supervision starting at 7:40.
- At dismissal time, classroom teachers will be bringing out their classes. If you are picking up your child, you can wait at the top of the hill (there will be a staff member there). Teachers will walk students to their buses and drop off the students being picked up at the top of the hill.
- For pick ups or late drop offs throughout the school day, you should come to the main doors and ring the buzzer.
SchoolMessenger Safe Arrival: Families will have two choices when reporting their child’s absence - full day absence with notification OR multiple day absence with notification. (Up to 5 consecutive absences can be entered). Even if your child is arriving late or absent for part of the day, you need to report it as a Full Day Absence. This lets us know they are not at school, and they’ve been accounted for. When students arrive, the absence will be adjusted at the office.
Families may report student absences using one of the three methods below:
1. PowerSchool Parent/Student Portal: Log in to https://sishrsb.ednet.ns.ca/public/ to access the SchoolMessenger website to report future absences.
2. SchoolMessenger App: This can be downloaded for Android and iOS devices, use the username and password for the PowerSchool Portal.
3. Toll-Free Number: Call 1-833-582-6940 to report future absences using an automated system.
All three methods are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Absences can be reported at any time before the start of school on the day the student will be absent. For more detailed information and Frequently Asked Questions, please visit https://www.hrce.ca/SafeArrival.
If your student is absent and the absence has not been reported in advance, you will receive notifications via email, text, and phone calls from SchoolMessenger. If SchoolMessenger cannot reach you, office staff will follow up.
Dismissal Changes: If there is a change in your child’s regular dismissal please call the school and speak directly to a person or send a note with your child with the date, child’s name, class, and parent signature. If you send an email to the teacher the same day a dismissal change is requested, please be aware that they are teaching and may not see the email in time.
Stand Up Against Bullying Day - Thursday, September 14th Standing up Against Bullying is a topic that is discusses frequently and openly throughout the school year, but it is important to recognize that we always have more work to do. Wearing Pink on September 14th is one way that we acknowledge our commitment to ongoing education and improvement. We invite all students to join us in this commitment by wearing pink.
Please reach out if you have any questions.
Kellie West & Diana Trider
Principal & Vice Principal, HRES